HEMERA summer school, Heidelberg/Germany, Sept. 9 – 13, 2019
The HEMERA summer school is open to advanced master students, PhD students and young scientists interested/involved in balloon research, technicians and engineers from the participating agencies and industries. The participation of technicians, engineers and scientists from eastern and southern European countries is particularly welcome.
Major themes of the summer school will cover the following:
- The history, early and modern balloon science and industrial opportunities, recent advances and discoveries.
- The atmospheric environment
- The general logistics of balloon types, flight control, limitations of the ballooning environment, launching techniques, regulations.
- Specific scientific and industrial ballooning operations of the agencies (CNES, SSC, ASI/CSA….
- More detail on modern scientific results from ballooning and the instruments involved.
- Future work, opportunities, measurements, ..
Teaching at the HEMERA summer school will be provided via lectures and showing casing balloon equipment. One afternoon and the evening of Sept. 11, 2019 will be dedicated to a social programme (see programme).
- Venue: The summer school will take place at the Marsilius Kolleg at the University of Heidelberg/Germany on Sept. 9 -13, 2019. Lectures and seminar are held in the ground floor of the building INF 130.1 located on the Im Neuenheim Feld (INF) Campus at Heidelberg, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
- Enrollment: Participants in the summer school should enroll until July 31, 2019, by sending an email to Prof. Dr. K. Pfeilsticker, email@example.com (could be changed in future). Admission will be guarantee until all vacancies are filled by return email and payment of the summer school fee (see 3.)
- Fee: The fee for the summer school is 100.- €, which includes the catering, the summer school diner as well as the participation in the social programme. The non-refundable fee should be paid until July 31, 2019
- Accommodation: Each participant need to book (and pay) his own accommodation. There are plenty of hotels in each category available at Heidelberg, however. Click here to for an overview on hotel at Heidelberg http://www.heidelberg.de/hd,Len/300652.htmlConvenient and moderately prized accommodation offer the so called ‘Gästehäuser’, for example those offered by the University which is located next to the Marsilius Kolleg,http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/institutions/guesthouses/index.html ,or operated by private operatorshttp://www.gaestehaus-endrich.de/start.htmhttp://www.heidelberg-pension.de/69118-gaestehaus-komm.htmlhttp://www.4-jahreszeiten.de/gaestehaus/en/http://www.gasthaus-heidelberg.de/
- Information on Heidelberg: For a general tourist Information on Heidelberg, see here http://www.heidelberg-marketing.de/en
The Summer School Programme can be downloaded here (last update 19 February).
For the venue location see here http://www.marsilius-kolleg.uni-heidelberg.de/lageplan-anreise-en.html